St Michael's Church, 1920s
View of St Michael's Church, completed in 1858. In 1846, James J. McCarthy, FRIAI, was chosen to design the new church and drawings were prepared. His work was disrupted by the Famine. In 1851, the project was revived and the architect Pugin, regarded by many as the expert on Gothic design, revised the plans.
The River Suck had not been walled in when the picture was taken.
Postcard published by Baird, Belfast.
Submitted by Damian Mac Con Uladh, ballinasloe.org